Live Chat

Stopping a Tax Offset for a Defaulted Federal Student Loan

Federal student loans are guaranteed by the US government and administered by the Department of Education. When a borrower defaults on the loan, the Department of Education may refer the loan to the Department of the Treasury for collection. The Treasury issues your tax refund check, which can be offset to pay your defaulted student loans. The Treasury will offset your entire refund, even if it includes money owed to your non-obligated spouse or an earned income tax credit.

So what can you do to stop this nightmare?

First, the Department of Education is required to send you notice of the offset. You are entitled to a hearing and an opportunity to present evidence when challenging the debt. If you make a timely request for a hearing, the collection process must stop. So it is in your best interest to review the loan documentation and request a hearing if there are mistakes. During that time you should also contact the Department of Education, negotiate a repayment schedule, and request that all garnishments and seizures cease.

Second, you should check with the Internal Revenue Service and see whether your tax refund will be offset. The number to the IRS Offset Hotline is 800-304-3107.

Third, if you filed a joint income tax return, your spouse may be eligible to reclaim his or her portion of your joint refund. Your spouse must file an “injured spouse” claim form (IRS Form 8379) with the Internal Revenue Service. Questions regarding the amount your spouse will receive can be answered by the IRS by calling 800-829-1040.

Fourth, you may be able to stop the collection process if you can show evidence of financial hardship. You must contact the Department of Education and submit documentation to support your claim. The Department of Education will consider your claim and may agree to modify the withholding action.

Finally, bankruptcy may stop an offset of your income tax refund. The bankruptcy laws on this matter are complex and require the attention of an experienced attorney. In general, the bankruptcy code allows a creditor to offset money owed to the debtor against a pre-bankruptcy debt. The offset must involve the same parties to the credit and the debt. If the creditor wants to perform an offset during the bankruptcy (for instance, during a Chapter 13 bankruptcy), it must first ask the bankruptcy court for relief from the automatic stay.

If you have defaulted on your student loans, you may be able to stop an IRS offset of your income tax refund. It is important to discuss the specifics of your situation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Your attorney can recommend the best course of action to protect your assets and income.