Live Chat

Trade Names

Can I register a trade name?

Texas law does not provide for registration of a business’s trade name, whether that business is incorporated or unincorporated.

Individuals and unincorporated entities that do business using an assumed name (often referred to as a “dba”) must file an assumed name certificate with the county clerk in each county in which business premises are maintained.

If a Corporation, LLC, or LP does business under a name other than the legal name in its certificate of formation, it must file assumed name certificates with the Secretary of State and with the clerk of the appropriate county where the business’ main office is located.

Business Law