Your initial consultation with your Texas personal injury lawyer is one of the most important meetings you will have with your attorney. Many law firms, including Fears | Nachawati, offer free legal advice to new clients during this first meeting.
To get the most out of your consultation, and to help your personal injury lawyer determine if you have a good case, there are certain pieces of documentation you should bring.
Here is a list of the types of information that you should bring to your first meeting with your Texas personal injury lawyer:
- A detailed account of the accident: A coherent story of what happened before, during and after the accident is critical. Don’t worry if you can’t remember every detail of the accident. Just be as thorough as possible. It is a good idea to practice telling your story to a friend or family member in advance so you won’t forget something important when you meet with your personal injury lawyer.
- Photos: Bring along copies of any photos you have of the scene of the accident, your injuries and/or any damage to your personal property.
- Contact information for witnesses to the accident: Your personal injury attorney may need to supplement their knowledge of your case by speaking to the people who saw the accident.
- Contact information for the person or person(s) responsible for the accident: Write down as much as you know about the person who caused the accident, including their name, address, phone number, insurance policy number and driver’s license number if the incident was a car accident.
- Photocopies of any important documents related to the accident: Bring along any and all documentation related to the accident. Don’t worry if you think it’s unimportant. Your Texas personal injury lawyer can determine what’s relevant to your case. These documents should include:
- Police reports
- Medical records – including x-rays, lab work and test results, if any
- Medical bills
- Professional estimates of the cost of repairing your property
- A copy of your insurance policy – including documentation of any claims you have already made, if any
Remember that you are not limited to the information on this list. You should bring along any documentation you believe will assist your personal injury lawyer in evaluating your case.
Fears | Nachawati offers free legal help to accident victims through a no charge, no obligation consultation with a Texas personal injury lawyer. Simply email us at email@example.com or call us on our toll-free helpline at 1.866.705.7584.